CONCUSSION INJURY FACTS-CAR ACCIDENT LAWYERS
The Car Accident Lawyers at the Schmidt Salita Law Team want to share this important information about CONCUSSION INJURIES IN CAR ACCIDENTS:
- A concussion is a mild Traumatic Brain Injury.
- A mild Traumatic Brain Injury or Concussion is “mild” in terms of initial presenting symptoms in that victims are able to perform most activities of daily living, without or without limitation.
- A mild Traumatic Brain Injury or Concussion is not always “mild” in terms of long term consequences, often resulting major life-style changes/disability.
- 60% OF motor vehicle collision victims suffer concussion injury.
- 75% of those will not have been diagnosed with a concussion at the time of first visit to a lawyer. Some because the doctors missed the diagnosis. Others because they did not seek medical advice.
- A knowledgeable lawyer, experienced in concussion injury matters, should be able to screen for a concussion injury and refer to the appropriate concussion specialist-even when the medical doctors missed it.
- 100% of concussion victims will have sustained LOC.
- LOC can be total (coma) or partial (“brain fog”, mental confusion, disorientation).
- Most people, both doctors and lay people, wrongly think of LOC as being “knocked out”. Medical literature is also confused. Internationally recognized diagnostic criteria recognize partial loss (“brain fog”) as sufficient to cause a concussion.
- A high percentage of concussion victims are unaware of their initial LOC and will not recognize it until a proper history is taken.
- A high percentage of concussion victims develop PCS symptoms after a delay of days and often develop increasing symptoms progressively.
- Many concussion victims automatically deny their symptoms and have difficulty accepting the fact that they may have experienced a concussion or mild traumatic brain injury.
- Any period of Retrrograde Amnesia (PTA), loss of memory of events before the MVA, is very significant.
- Any LOC is significant, either total (coma) or partial (brain fog).
- Post Traumatic Amnesia (PTA), loss of memory of events following the MVA is important, in fact more important than LOC.
- PTA is a flickering, on-and-off, phenomena with flashes of memory separated by periods of lost memory.
- Respected literature recognizes that ER doctors cannot reliably diagnose concussion injuries.
- Even when symptoms of a concussion are recognized by a medical provider, they will, more often that not, give bad advice, i.e. “your concussion will probably go away on its own”.
- The Rivermead Post Concussion Questionaire is a reliable screening tool for the quick recognition of concussion symptoms.
- One size does not fit all. Concussion symptoms vary widely from case to case.
- Car accidents are a leading cause of concussions.
CONCUSSION INJURY FACTS-CAR ACCIDENT LAWYERS CAN HELP.
Without the intervention of a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer, most concussion victims will not receive fair compensation. It is the lawyer’s duty to preliminarily screen for concussions and get the clients to doctors that know what they are doing regarding concussions. That task is time urgent because the failure of diagnosis is often considered proof the the absence of a concussion by the Defense! (I.e. it is important to get the concussion diagnosed ASAP. Often the score is 2-0 against the concussion victim when the ER doctor and the Urgent Care/Family Practice doctors have failed to diagnose the concussion.)
It is the ethical duty of a personal injury lawyer to screen for concussion injuries and refer the victims to competent medical providers that understand concussion injuries. See Minnesota Rules of Professional (Lawyer) Conduct, Rule 2.1, Scope of Advice (4).
CONCUSSION INJURY LAWYERS-EXPERIENCED AND ETHICAL.
The lawyers on the Schmidt Salita Law Team honor their professional responsibility to provide competent and knowledgeable advice to the victims of concussions and mild Traumatic Brain Injuries.
The Schmidt Salita Law Team Handles a Wide Variety of Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Claims.
The Schmidt Salita Law Team handles cases involving car accidents, trucking accidents, motorcycle accidents, pedestrian car accidents, and bicycle accidents. It has many years’ experience in workers , products liability and medical malpractice cases.
The Schmidt Salita Law Team has extensive experience with concussion injuries, traumatic brain injuries, neck and back injuries, whiplash injuries, broken bones, injured joint injuries (knee, hip, shoulder, wrist, ankle, spinal), amputation injuries, and vision and eye injuries.
The Schmidt Salita Law Team has offices through out the State of Minnesota. Its primary location is at Ridgedale Office Center in Minnetonka, near the intersection of I394 and I494. The offices offer handicap accessible with ample parking.
The Schmidt Salita Team Offers Contingent Fee Arrangements.
The firm offers contingent fee agreements (You don’t pay lawyers fees until you collect and then only as a percentage of the settlement). It also offers home and hospital visits to clients whose injuries present difficulty in coming to the office.
“PERSONAL INJURY WITH PERSONAL ATTENTION TO EACH CASE”.
The Schmidt Salita Law Team has locations throughout the Twin Cities metropolitan area of Minneapolis and St. Paul, as well as Minnetonka, Maple Grove, Plymouth, Osseo, Anoka, Coon Rapids, Brooklyn Center, Fridley, Blaine, Shoreview, Woodbury, Falcon Heights, Columbia Park, Stillwater, Hastings, Inver Grove, Cottage Grove, South St. Paul, Apple Valley, Eagan, Burnsville, Savage, Shakopee, Richfield, Bloomington, Chaska, Chanhassen, Edina, Eden Prairie, and Hopkins.