Our society has improved its understanding of Concussions/Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries many times over in the last 5-10 years. The lawyers at the Schmidt Law Firm are on the cutting edge of that revolution-helping its clients who have suffered a concussion or Mild Traumatic Brain Injury to get proper medical attention and to achieve fair compensation for their injuries from the parties who are at fault in causing those injuries.
Concussions and Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries are the single most frequently overlooked injury condition.
The clients of the Schmidt Law Firm who have been involved in a moderate to severe motor vehicle collision are carefully screened for the existence of a Concussion or Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. It experience has demonstrated the following:
1. Approximately 60% have clear evidence of a TBI.
2. Of that group, less than 25% have been diagnosed be the Emergency Department or Urgent Care personnel.
3. The majority will initially deny any loss of consciousness-but probing questions will reveal the existence of clear-cut period that cannot be remembered or accounted for.
4. The symptoms of an MTBI often worsen over a period of days or weeks after the accident.
Why Are MTBIs So Often Missed by Medical Providers?
There are several explanations for why the ED and Urgent Care providers don’t detect or diagnose the MTBI:
1. They don’t take a proper history by asking probing questions.
2. They don’t do a proper evaluation.
3. They ignore the presence of symptoms that should call for more careful evaluation.
4. The initial symptoms of a TBI are camouflaged or hidden by the immediate symptoms of initial shock and other physical injuries.
5. The symptoms of a MTBI come on progressive over a period of days, weeks and months. (Mayo Clinic says they develop progressively over 7-10 days. Other authorities say they can progressively worsen over several months or show up years later.)
The Schmidt Law Firm is conveniently located near the Ridgedale Mall and the intersection of I494 and I394 in Minnetonka. It provides easy handicap accessible ground level offices with ground-level parking. You don’t have to go downtown for a great lawyer!