Our society has improved its understanding of Concussions/Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries many times over in the last 5-10 years.
The lawyers at the Schmidt Salita Law Team are on the cutting edge of that revolution-helping its clients who have suffered a concussion or Mild Traumatic Brain Injury to get proper medical attention and to achieve fair compensation for their injuries from the parties who are at fault in causing those injuries.
Concussions and Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries are the single most frequently overlooked injury condition.
The clients of the Schmidt Salita Law Team who have been involved in a moderate to severe motor vehicle collision are carefully screened for the existence of a Concussion or Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. This experience has demonstrated the following:
1. Approximately 60% of those car accident victims demonstrate clear evidence of a TBI on screening with highly respected screening protocols.
2. Of that group, less than 25% have been diagnosed be the Emergency Department or Urgent Care personnel.
3. The majority will initially deny any loss of consciousness-but probing questions will reveal the existence of clear-cut period that cannot be remembered or accounted for. (Only a searching history will reveal the evidence of a concussion injury in most cases.)
4. The symptoms of an MTBI often worsen over a period of days or weeks after the accident.
Why Are MTBIs So Often Missed by Medical Providers?
There are many valid reasons why so many Mild Traumatic Brain Injuries are missed. Many victims of concussion injuries simply do not seek medical care. The CDC recognizes that many concussion injuries are not reported. Because they are not reported, there is no way to statistically establish just how many are unreported. Some of the recognized reason for concussion injuries to be overlooked, including the following:
1. Many medical examiners simply don’t take a proper history by asking probing questions.
2. They don’t do a proper evaluation.
3. They ignore the presence of symptoms that should call for more careful evaluation.
4. The initial symptoms of a TBI are camouflaged or hidden by the immediate symptoms of initial shock and other physical injuries.
5. The symptoms of a MTBI come on progressive over a period of days, weeks and months. (Mayo Clinic says they develop progressively over 7-10 days. Other authorities say they can progressively worsen over several months or show up years later.)
Most Concussions Heal-Many Result in Permanent Disability.
The majority of concussions heal without long term residuals. Many don’t. When the symptoms of concussion continue more than 3 months, they are generally considered to be a “Post Concussion Syndrome”.
Many continue to experience long term difficulty with headaches, vision impairments, reduced memory, concentration and comprehension deficits, insensitivity to noise and light, balance difficulties, and other symptoms typical of a post concussion symptoms.
Medical research shows that the consequences of a concussion injury can reveal themselves in the form of seizures and severe mental disorders after man years.
Medical research has established that a person who has experienced a single concussion may be at greater risk for experiencing yet another concussion with lesser trauma and with greater consequences.
The Schmidt Salita Law Team Has Experience in Bringing Justice to Concussion Victims.
The Schmidt Salita Law Team understands that most concussion injuries are overlooked, but can be a serious problem. The Team is dedicated to screening its clients who have been in a car accident, or any other traumatic event, for evidence of a concussion injury. The Team is dedicated to getting those concussion injury victims to competent and qualified medical providers who can provide the care and treatment that is appropriate for concussion victims. In the Minneapolis area, traumatic brain injury treatment is available at the Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) Traumatic Brain Injury Clinic and at Courage Kenney Brain Injury Center.
The Schmidt Law Firm is conveniently located near the Ridgedale Mall and the intersection of I494 and I394 in Minnetonka. It provides easy handicap accessible ground level offices with ground-level parking. You don’t have to go downtown for a great lawyer!