To view this, you need to install the Flash Player 5. Please go to here and download it.
1. A concussion is a brain injury.
The Minneapolis Concussion Injury and Brain Injury Lawyers at the Schmidt Law Firm have over 30 year’s experience in bringing justice to the victims of many types of personal injury, including concussion injuries, mild traumatic brain injuries, and moderate to severe brain injuries.
Our Minneapolis Concussion and Brain Injury Lawyers understand that even a mild traumatic brain injury can be a serious medical problem-and one which is often overlooked by medical personnel.
Recently, there has been a lot of attention given to the effects of concussion injuries in athletes due to sports injuries. Yet, a lot of work still needs to be done to heighten the public awareness of the often serious consequences of concussion injuries and the effects of post-concussion syndrome.
The following facts aid the understanding of concussion injuries and post-concussion syndrome:
This is a “no-brainer”. By definition, a “concussion” is an injury to the brain. They are a “closed head injury”, meaning that the head injury has occurred without any penetration or fracture of the skull.
Concussions are sometimes called a Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. However, the consequences sometimes are not “mild” at all. Instead, the consequences of a Mild Traumatic Brain Injury can be major.
A concussion is a head injury which produces most, but not necessarily all, of the following symptoms:
Feelings of Dizziness,
Nausea and/or Vomiting,
Sensitivity to noise, sound, light,
Feelings of Depression,
Frustration, Impatience, or Restlessness,
Forgetfulness, poor memory,
Poor Concentration, Taking Longer to Think,
Blurred Vision, Double Vision.
2. A serious concussion can occur even where there is no loss of consciousness.
It is well established in the medical literature that a serious concussion can occur without a period of total loss of consciousness. Many victims of a concussion and brain injury suffer from disorientation and mental confusion without being totally “unconscious”. A period of disorientation and mental confusion is sufficient to establish the existence of a concussion.
The Concussion Injury and Brain Injury Lawyers at the Schmidt Law Firm routinely screen their clients who have been in a car accident for signs of a concussion and brain injury that has been overlooked or missed by the medical providers. Our results show that over 50% of the victims of car accidents have experienced a head injury, a concussion that has been overlooked by the medical community. A highly respected medical journal recently reported that only 45% of emergency room doctors perform even a minimal screening test for concussions.
3. A significant percentage of the victims of a concussion are unaware that they have experienced a loss of consciousness.
This is a “no brainer” as well. By definition, a person who is unconscious is not conscious of the fact that they may have been unconscious!!! Think of it this way. When you wake up in the night, do you know how long you have been asleep? Of course not. By the same token, the victim of a concussion cannot accurately tell whether he or she has been “unconscious” and, if so, for how long.
In fact, the studies of the US Department of Defense have shown that a significant number of military personnel returning from Iraq and Afghanistan have sustained a concussion injury without knowing it and without it being diagnosed or treated by any medical personnel.
4. A serious concussion can occur even when there is no blow to the head.
It is well established in the medical literature that a serious concussion can occur even when there has been no blow to the head. A severe whiplash of the head and neck certainly can cause a concussion.
5. Most serious concussions are not diagnosed by either the EMT or in the emergency room.
One medical study proved that more than one-half of the emergency room doctors do not properly screen for a head injury or concussion. The experience of the Schmidt Law firm has established that that number is more like 80%.
6. Most concussions resolve without long term consequences.
It is true that the majority of concussions resolve without long term consequences. However, it is also true that many do not. Further, it is well established in the medical literature that a person who has suffered a concussion is at greater risk for more serious consequences in the event of another concussion. The medical literature has also established a link between concussions and the early onset of dementia.
The Concussion Injury and brain injury lawyers at the Schmidt Law Firm have 40 years of experience in successfully representing the victims of concussion injuries, traumatic brain injuries, closed head injuries and open head injuries causing by car, truck, motorcycle and bicycle accidents, as well as construction site and farm accidents. If you have sustained a head injury, whether it’s a traumatic brain injury or concussion, call the Schmidt Law Firm for a free consultation.
Douglas E. Schmidt
Personal Injury Attorney
13911 Ridgedale Drive,
Minneapolis, MN 55305
Phone (952) 473-4530
Toll Free 1-800-656-8450
Fax (952) 544-1308
1. $54 Million for Minnesota Farmers.
2. $2.2 million for Trucking Collision Injury Case.
3. $1.4 million Jury Trial for Minnesota Farmer.
4. $2.4 million Jury Verdict in Medical Malpractice case.
5. $620,000 for Injury to Motorcycle Driver.
6. $450,000 for Injuries from Mack truck collision.
7. $900,000 Court Award in Farm Injury.
8. $300,000 for Man Injured in ATV accident.
9. $600,000 for Zamboni Lung Injuries.
10. $1 million Jury Award in Medical Malpractice Case.
11. $600,000 against Ford Motor
12. $600,000 in Medical Malpractice Case
13. $800,000 Judgment in Nursing Home Death case.
14. $743,000 jury verdict in car accident.
15. $445,000 in slip & fall case.
16. $1 million in sexual assault case.
17. $440,000 in sexual assault jury verdict.
18. $600,000 recovery for victims of lung injuries.
19. $3 million plus in No Fault recoveries.
20. $8 million in medical malpractice recoveries.
©2009 Schmidt Law Firm, Powered by Webopts